As we spring into summertime it’s a perfect time to do a thorough cleaning and to perform maintenance checks. After a long cold season, it is a good idea to spend time on preventive measures to ensure your home and organization is properly maintained throughout the year.
- Change and Test Smoke Detectors- Spring and Summer are good times to change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. It is also a good idea to test these units (once a month is recommended) while you are replacing the batteries to ensure they are still working correctly before it is too late.
- HVAC Filters- When it comes to your HVAC filters, they should be cleaned several times a year.
- Air Conditioning- have a professional tune up your AC before the summertime heat hits. This could help your AC run better and cooler.
- Windows and Doors- Check all the seals on your windows and doors to see if there are any cracks in the caulking where leaks can form and cause damage. If you find any dried-out seals, re-caulk them to keep out moisture.
- Tree maintenance- Trim any dead branches that may be on your property or near powerlines to prevent them from causing damage as the result of a storm. Trim any healthy trees to keep them under control and away from wires.
- Roof- Check any damages that may have been caused during the winter from ice or snow and repair them to reduce the chance of leaks.
- Gutters- While checking the roof, it is a good idea to clean out the gutters, too. This will keep the water flowing away from the building and prevent the possibility of water damage and leaks.
A little cleaning and maintenance can go a long way to keep your home or organization safe and secure throughout the rest of the year. These tips can help prevent future insurance claims.